The two-year international project Shadow Pandemic: Hidden Voices is carried out by the Maribor Theatre Festival in cooperation with the Zagreb Youth Theatre and the Belgrade Drama Theatre. It addresses the problem of violence against women during the closure of public life due to the coronavirus pandemic. The main aim of the project is to raise awareness of this issue among the general public and young people through a series of project activities, including an open call for new plays, a series of five workshops with young people, and a theatrical performance of the plays selected in the open call, led by theatre director Selma Spahić. It is co-funded by the Creative Europe Programme with a grant of EUR 200,000 from the European Commission.
As part of the open call for the selection of drama texts, we kindly invite you to the panel discussion, which will take place on Wednesday, 14 December at 12 noon in the Kazinska Hall of the Slovene National Theatre Maribor.
- Ivana Vuković, dramaturge of the project
- Jerneja Turin, consultant-analyst at the Centre for Human Rights
- A representative of the Centre for Social Work Maribor
Open Call Details:
- The deadline for submission of plays is 18 January 2023 at 24.00. Texts sent after this deadline will not be considered.
- The drama script can only be submitted by women authors with a residence address in the EU member states and countries included in the Creative Europe Programme (Iceland, Norway, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Georgia, Moldavia, Ukraine, Tunisia, Armenia, and Kosovo*).
*In accordance with the UN Security Council resolution 1244 (1999) and without prejudicing the status or the opinion of ICJ about Kosovo’s declaration of independence.
- Each author can submit only one original play. The submitted text must not have been published or performed in any form. Texts in Croatian, Serbian or Slovenian must be sent in Word or PDF format to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Interested female authors can ask questions about the competition by email: email@example.com no later than 11 p.m. on 5 December 2022. The answers will be published on the project website www.shadowpandemic.eu no later than 15 December 2022 at 11 p. m.
- Each of the selected scripts will be awarded Euro 4,400.00 gross (including all taxes and withholdings).
- The selected texts will be translated into English, published in an online format and an omnibus play/performance, based on the award-winning texts as an integral part of the production, will be directed by Selma Spahić. The play will be performed in Zagreb, Belgrade and Maribor.